Friday, February 4, 2011

Student of the Month!


Jacie was chosen by her teacher to be the Student of the Month. She was so excited about it all week long. Her teacher sent me a message on facebook saying that every day she would come in and say "Mrs. Pereira, I remember that I am student of the month." She also reminded me that the parents always bring balloons to give to their children when they are the students of the month. So, today, I was able to leave work for just a little while (luckily, my school had an assembly at the same time) and I was able to be there with the rest of the family to see her given her ribbon and certificate and I was able to give her the balloons and take some pictures. The sad thing is that towards the end of the assembly, the girl next to her hit one of her balloons with her little teddy bear-in-a-box thing and popped it! (She's standing next to her in the purple dress below...just before she popped the balloon)!. Then, she continued to kick the balloon while it was down. What a rude girl...kids can be so mean!!! Jacie tried to remain composed, but I could tell that tears were welling up. Poor girl! There she was in front of the whole audience trying not to cry. After it was over, I went up and hugged her and they came spilling out. We tried to cheer her up so that she could get her picture taken with a smile on her face. What should have been such a wonderful experience turned into more of a life lesson, not everyone is nice, that sometimes bad things happen and sometimes things don't always go as planned and sometimes you just need to have a good cry about it! I still think I might pick her up a new pink heart balloon on the way home (is that not letting her learn from the lesson?...I'm going to do it anyway).

Also, Jacie's Spanish teacher told me that she said her first Spanish sentence to her this week! She said "cinco restamos tres es igual a dos" or "five take away three is two". What?! Her first sentence is Spanish is about math and not "me gusta bailar" (I like dance) o "me gusta comer fresas"(I like to eat strawberries)...but something totally different and school related. How funny is she?! She is growing up way too fast and I am so proud of her (not in a lifted up/boasting kind of way, but a "I'm so happy that she is my girl and is doing so well" kind of way). I just love my big girl!

No comments: