Friday, June 11, 2010

Kids will be kids...




I guess the pictures above will speak for themselves, but I must tell a little bit more about the story. So, Tyler was hungry and I had Jacie, Rylie and their neighbor friend, Julia in the kitchen. I got them some playdough and crayons with some fun pictures to color and thought they'd be busy enough to stay out of trouble so I could feed Tyler. While I was feeding him I noticed I didn't hear them in the kitchen and they had probably wandered outside...and they had, they were in the garage where according to Jacie, the following occurred:

Julia (upon finding some scissors) exclaims: "Jacie, let's cut our hair."

Jacie: "No, Julia, I need to ask my Mom first."

Then, Julia proceeded to cut Jacie's hair, Rylie's hair and her own hair as well.


To which I questioned:
Me: "And you didn't cut anyone's hair?"

Jacie: "No Mom, because I needed to ask you first."

LOL!!!! Are you kidding me? Does she think that I don't see through her nice little lies, isn't she a little young to be starting the lying to Mom thing? I love the naivete!


So, of course, the real story came out after I spoke with Rylie and Julia. Poor Rylie didn't cut anyone's hair, but she ended up with the worst haircut of them all. I was so shocked, saddened, appalled and livid with Jacie. She cut her hair and Rylie's hair last summer and Rylie's had just barely reached her shoulders again...this time it's going to take a lot longer. I hope the fact that I tried to lighten the mood after awhile didn't give them the attention they were maybe looking for...it seems like they got over me being upset at them a little too quickly (too bad I'm the one that can't seem to get over it quite yet).


Here are some pictures from our trip to Cookie Cutters to get their hair fixed, as much as possible anyway. The girls there said it must be the season for cutting hair because they've had 6 other families come in this week with the same thing happening...one family was there at the same time as we were...their daughter had cut her hair trying to get gum out of her hair. So, as the title says above...kids will be kids, but I hope this hair cutting thing doesn't happen again.

All in all, I think Jacie learned her lesson this time...she was put in timeout for 10 minutes when it happened and was grounded from playing with her best friend (the neighbor that engaged in the hair cutting with her) for 2 days. I'm sure Jacie and Rylie will hear of this story for years to come and I'm sure we'll look back on this and laugh hysterically, but I can't help but feel a little sad when I look at their hair now, especially poor, innocent little Rylie.

6 comments:

Sass said...

OH NO! Poor Rylie indeed! She has no more hair! :(
Seriously, I would have cried & freaked out!! I am not looking forward to hair cutting when my little girl gets older!!

Mary J said...

Oh! I would have had a heart attack... Sarah did the same thing not too long ago. It's a rite of passage. I'm still sad about it...

Thanks for the congrats about teaching! Can't wait! :)

Amanda said...

Oh man! Kids will be kids but there are just some things you wish wouldn't happen to your kids. My sisters kids have cut each others hair more times than I can count. Hopefully yours won't do it again.
And at least hair does grow back.

Lindsey said...

Oh no!!! I think I would have cried and cried. Poor poor Rylie! You're right. Years down this road this will be hilarious to think back on:)

And fyi, four years old is usually when kids start to experiment with lying. I was shocked when I learned that; still am when I think about it. So bright spot- Jacie is behind the curve on that one;)
Here's hoping it grows back quicker than last time!

Molly L. Phillipps said...

You are right about them having this story forever. I cut my bangs off in the middle of the night when I was in kindergarten. My mom was so mad and I still remember feeling so bad about it. Poor Rylie - I would have cried.

Gold-E said...

Oh my gosh, they really butchered Rylie! I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time (I would have come out of my body if those were my daughters), but the pictures are pretty hilarious. Did the neighbor girl get it too? Luckily hair grows back.