
The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new. ~Rajneesh
When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child. ~Sophia Loren, Women and Beauty
This Mother's Day I have been reflecting on the years that I have been a mother. I have been thinking about that day when my first child was born a little over 4 years ago and I have been thinking about how that day changed me. My roles in life still included being a daughter, a sister, and a wife, but that day I became a mother. Motherhood has brought with it some amazing times and some very difficult times as well. Those first few months with a new baby were some of the hardest times I have ever had in my life, yet when I think back on how wonderful it was to have someone that needed me exclusively and desperately, someone that loved me with a love so pure it just doesn't compare to anything else. There are some days that I have thought this is the hardest job in the world, when I focus on how unclean my house is, on how the girls seem to be fighting non-stop and I just can't seem to get them to just love each other and play nicely, or when I am just too exhausted to play with them or get anything done. Then, there are the days when it seems like everything goes so well, the girls are getting along and playing together, we have fun swinging on the swings and playing outside together, when it just seems like I completely understand and get this Mom thing. I think that is just how it is, some days are fun and playful and some are about cleaning and keeping things organized and just keeping the children from hurting each other. I guess that is what makes a Mom a "Mom"...having fun at times, teaching at times, having difficult times and yet, loving your children unconditionally. It's about learning to understand just a little bit more each day the kind of love our Heavenly Father must have for us!
I have begun to understand the sacrifices my own Mother has to made on my behalf and for all of her children and the unconditional love she shows each and every one of us. She is so unselfish and loves each of us no matter what we have done. She has guided and taught us to know right from wrong and she has praised us when we've done something well. She continues to be someone I turn to for help and advice. I am so grateful to her and her example in my life!
In my own experience, I think of the girls I have been blessed with and know that as they are becoming their own little persons, I have such a critical role in both what they learn and how they feel about themselves. I know that I must teach them to make the right decisions in their lives and hope that they will follow those teachings. I know that I am not the perfect Mom, but I know that I am doing the best that I possibly can. I also know that there is no perfect Mom out there...it's tempting to compare ourselves to other Moms, but we are all so different, there is no comparison possible. I think all moms do the best they can with what they know and I think the only one requirement is that we love our children with all our hearts! To all the Mothers out there, or those that will be one day, I think we need to applaud our efforts! I know I want to be sure that I don't ever take for granted this time I have to spend with my children and I don't ever want to look back, ever, with regret and wish I had played with them more or enjoyed them more. So, I am just going to strive to be better and love my children more each and everyday. Happy Mother's Day to all and don't forget the wonderful women in your lives today!
1 comment:
I loved this. Thanks for sharing, Trieste. My sentiments exactly!
Post a Comment